Anime is a form of Japanese animation that has gained tremendous popularity across the globe in recent years. It is known for its unique art style, complex storylines, and vivid characters. Anime has become a part of modern pop culture and has gained a massive following among people of all ages and backgrounds. In this blog post, we will delve into the reasons why anime has become so popular and why it continues to thrive.
Key Anime Popularity Statistics
- The global anime industry revenue was estimated to reach $40 billion by 2027, with a CAGR of 8.8% from 2020 to 2027 .
- The highest-grossing anime film of all time, “Demon Slayer: Mugen Train,” earned $477.1 million worldwide as of February 2021 .
- The anime streaming platform Crunchyroll had over 100 million registered users and 3 million paid subscribers as of 2021 .
- “Attack on Titan” was the most-watched anime series on Netflix in 2020, followed by “Death Note” and “One Piece” .
- According to a survey conducted by Funimation, 60% of anime viewers in the US are male, and 57% are between 18 and 34 years old .
- The anime series “Naruto” has sold over 250 million copies of its manga worldwide .
- “My Hero Academia” was the most popular anime series in the US in 2020, followed by “Attack on Titan” and “Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba” .
- According to a survey conducted by the Japan External Trade Organization, the top three countries for anime consumption outside of Japan are China, the US, and South Korea.
- The anime series “Dragon Ball” has sold over 300 million copies of its manga worldwide .
- In 2020, the anime series “The Promised Neverland” was the most popular anime on the streaming platform Hulu, followed by “Naruto Shippuden” and “One-Punch Man” .
- The Japanese anime series “One Piece” has sold over 480 million copies of its manga worldwide .
- The anime series “Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood” has an IMDb rating of 9.1 out of 10, making it one of the highest-rated anime series on the platform .
One of the reasons why anime is so popular is its ability to tell complex and compelling stories. Unlike many western cartoons, anime often deals with more mature themes and explores complex character relationships.
The storylines are often intricate and well-crafted, and the characters are often deeply developed and relatable. This depth and complexity of storytelling make anime stand out from other forms of animation.
Anime Industry Growth Statistics
- The anime industry is expected to grow at an average growth rate of 9.7% CAGR, while another research group shows that global anime market growth is expected to hit 7.9% CAGR until 2030 .
- The Covid-19 Pandemic resulted in a decreased growth rate, showing a 3.2% decline. However, the anime market has recovered and continued to grow steadily .
- The demand for anime content has increased by 118% globally between 2020 and 2022 .
The Japanese animation industry has continued its steady growth trend from 2020 to 2022, despite the pandemic-related challenges. In 2020, the global anime market was valued at around $24 billion, with streaming services such as Netflix and Crunchyroll contributing significantly to this growth.
The trend has continued in 2021 and early 2022, with the anime industry witnessing a surge in popularity and revenue. The industry has also expanded its reach to new markets, including the Middle East, Africa, and Latin America, further fueling its growth.
Anime industry statistics show that the industry is expected to continue its upward trajectory in the coming years, with the release of highly anticipated titles and the increasing adoption of online streaming services.
How Big is the Anime Industry in Japan?
- The Japanese anime industry in Japan generated more than 1.19 trillion Yen in revenue, which is 49% of the total revenue earned by the country. Meanwhile, the rest of the world generated more than 1.24 trillion Yen in 2020, overtaking Japan for the first time .
The following anime segments generate the most revenue :
- Overseas 51%
- Online merchandise 24%
- Pachinko and the like 11%
- Internet Distribution 3.8%
- TV 3.5%
- Movie 2.5%
- Video 1.9%
- Live Entertainment 1.2%
- Music 1.1%
Surprisingly, the Internet distribution segment has not generated the expected revenue it was supposed to, but this segment is only limited to Japan only. We don’t know the extent of these segments overseas. But this doesn’t mean that the popularity of anime is low in countries outside of Japan.
In the next sections, we’ll be showing more anime statistics from all over the world in terms of content demand and consumption.
Manga Industry Statistics
Part of the global anime market report showcase the popularity of Japanese manga, or Japanese comic novels, amongst people all over the world. This section covers the popularity of anime, specifically manga, in Japan.
We know that many people watch anime online, but how many people read manga?
- Naruto sold more than 250 million copies of its Japanese comic novels worldwide .
- Dragon Ball sold more than 300 million copies of its manga globally .
- In the USA alone, more than 24.4 million manga units were sold in 2021, which was an increase of 15 million from the previous year with 9.4 million units sold .
- In Japan, manga comic sales were 676 billion Yen (about $4.9 billion) and showed a 9.3% increase from the previous year .
- Manga is mostly read by men, showing a 90% market reach compared to females (10%) .
- In terms of age group, people aged 25 years old or older dominate the population with 27.4%, followed by people aged between 19 and 24 years old with 25.8%. In contrast, only 3.2% of the people who read manga fall under 9 years of age .
- 17.33% of people in Japan say they either watch anime or read the manga.
The manga industry in Japan is a significant part of the country’s popular culture and entertainment sector. Manga refers to Japanese comics and graphic novels, which are often serialized in magazines before being published as standalone volumes.
The manga industry is highly competitive, with numerous publishers and thousands of titles vying for readers’ attention. The industry’s revenue has remained stable, with the Japanese manga market valued at around $3.6 billion in 2020.
Manga has a broad readership, ranging from children to adults, and covers a variety of genres, including romance, adventure, horror, and science fiction. Many manga series have also been adapted into popular anime shows, further expanding their reach and popularity.
Despite facing challenges such as declining birth rates and an aging population, the manga industry in Japan continues to thrive and evolve to meet the changing demands of readers.
How Big Is Anime In The USA?
- 42% of millennials in the USA report that they are anime fans. 25% of GenZ adults and 21% of Gen X fans said they love to watch anime . The same study also reported that older generations are less likely to watch or be fans of, anime.
- 18% of Americans watch anime shows online in 2022. This explains why there are more than 200 shows dubbed in English .
- Outside of Japan, the USA is recorded with the highest demand for anime titles and anime content . Tracking the average daily Demand Expressions for anime titles per 100 capita, the US easily dominated the list with 0.95 Demand Expressions per 100 capita, which is twice the amount from the second-best-rated country, the Philippines .
- Naruto has more than 1.97 million monthly searches in the USA, followed by Demon Slayer with 1.51 million and Pokemon with 1.40 million monthly searches .
- On opening day, Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero earned more than $10.7 million in the USA . The 2022 animated film that focused on Gohan and Piccolo earned more than $4.3 million during its preview day on Thursday and $6.4 million on Friday.
- Crunchyroll and Sony Pictures screened the movie to more than 3,007 locations in the USA, making it the widest release ever for an anime movie. It went on to generate $20.1 million during the first weekend.
- “My Hero Academia” was ranked as the most popular anime series in the US in 2020. The show is followed by “Attack on Titan” and “Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba” .
How Many People Watch Anime?
- Funimation conducted a survey that showed 60% of anime watchers in the USA are male, and 57% of them are between the ages of 18 and 34 years old .
Anime and Streaming Platforms
- More than half of the 222 million Netflix subscribers watched at least one anime in 2021 .
- That same year, time spent watching anime also increased by 20%, and this is just based on data released by Netflix. The overseas anime market has not been accounted for in terms of how many people watch anime .
- The rise in anime popularity can also be attributed to the number of registered users in Crunchyroll. As of 2021, Crunchyroll has more than 120 million registered users with 5 million subscribers accounted for .
- Each anime episode will cost anywhere between $100,000 and $200,000 to make . This depends on a number of factors, such as the use of CGI and Hollywood-level voice actors. For example, Dragon Ball Super, considered as one of the highest grossing anime franchise in the industry, costs about $150,000 to $160,000 per episode to make.
Another reason why anime has become so popular is its accessibility. With the rise of streaming platforms like Crunchyroll, Funimation, and Netflix, anime has become more accessible to viewers worldwide.
Internet streaming platforms such as Hulu and Amazon Prime also offer a wide variety of anime shows and movies, making it easy for fans to find and watch their favorite series. Additionally, these platforms often offer dubbed versions of the shows, making it easier for viewers who do not speak Japanese to enjoy the content.
The Wrap Up
Japanese anime’s unique art style is also a significant factor in its popularity. Unlike western animation, anime features exaggerated facial expressions and vibrant colors, making the characters stand out and memorable. The art style also allows for more creative freedom when it comes to character designs and settings, giving anime a distinctive and recognizable aesthetic.
Anime’s popularity has also been fueled by its online fandom. With the rise of social media, anime fans have been able to connect with one another, share fan art and fanfiction, and discuss their favorite shows and characters. This online community has created a sense of belonging and has helped to spread the word about anime to new viewers.
Finally, the growing popularity of Japanese anime can be attributed to its ability to appeal to a wide range of viewers. Anime offers something for everyone, with genres ranging from action and adventure to romance and slice-of-life. It also appeals to people of different ages, with shows aimed at teens, young adults, and adults. This diversity in content and audience makes anime a versatile and accessible form of entertainment.