In the fast-paced digital age, mobile devices have become an integral part of our daily lives. From smartphones and tablets to wearable gadgets, these compact and versatile devices have revolutionized the way we communicate, access information, conduct business, entertain ourselves, and much more. Their importance in world today cannot be overstated, as they have become a ubiquitous presence, shaping our personal and professional spheres.
Key Mobile Device Statistics
- Mobile operators generated $1.08 trillion in revenue in 2021. It is projected that this amount will increase by $100 billion annually between 2021 and 2025 .
- Vodafone, a prominent mobile service provider, has experienced a decline in earnings in recent years. In 2018, Vodafone earned 7 billion Euros (equivalent to US$7.5 billion) .
- The Americas serve as Apple’s largest regional market, with net sales amounting to $49.28 billion during the 1st quarter of FY 2023. Europe and Greater China follow in second and third place, respectively .
- Global smartphone sales reached 1.52 billion units in 2019 and are anticipated to continue growing in the coming years .
- The revenue of the global smartphone market exhibited an upward trend between 2011 and 2022. However, in 2022, revenue declined from $448 billion to $419 billion .
- Mobile devices account for over 70% of the total YouTube traffic .
- In 2020, mobile devices were used by 99.3% of Internet users in China to access the online platform. .
- Regardless of the activity, such as watching YouTube, Netflix, or browsing social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook, approximately 70% of media consumption takes place on smartphones .
- The global market for mobile phone accessories was valued at $278 billion in 2020, and it is projected to reach $413 billion by the end of 2030 .
- WhatsApp currently boasts more than two billion monthly active users, with the majority of them located outside the United States ,.
- Gaming holds the top spot as the most popular category in the Apple Store, capturing a market share of 12.68% among all iOS apps. Business apps come in second place with 10.35%, followed by Education apps at 9.8% .
Mobile Device Sales and Revenue Statistics
- In 2021, mobile operators earned $1.08 trillion in revenue. Between 2021 and 2025, this amount is expected to increase by $100 billion every year .
- Vodafone, one of the leading mobile service providers, has been reported to have decreased earnings over the last few years. In 2018, Vodafone earned 7 billion Euros (US$ 7.5 billion). But in the third quarter of FY 2021/2022, the company earned 6.49 billion Euros (US$ 6.9 billion) .
- Apple’s largest regional market is The Americas, generating net sales amounting to $49.28 billion during the 1st quarter of FY 2023. Europe and Greater China follow in second and third place respectively .
- Smartphone sales all over the world reached 1.52 billion units in 2019 and is expected to increase over the next few years .
- The global smartphone market’s revenue increased between the years 2011 to 2022. In 2022, revenue dropped from $448 billion to $419 billion .
- In-app advertising has a market share worth $69.7 billion as of 2018. It’s expected to grow at a CAGR of 19.4% starting from 2019 all the way to 2025. By then it’ll be worth $226 billion .
- In 2019, the total count of mobile subscriptions surpassed eight billion for the first time, reaching a staggering 8.3 billion subscriptions. By 2021, this number had risen further to 8.6 billion. .
- Approximately 6.9 billion active mobile broadband subscriptions were recorded globally in 2022. .
- Samsung Electronics recorded revenues of approximately 76.8 trillion South Korean won, equivalent to around 58 billion U.S. dollars, in the second quarter of 2022. The mobile communications segment of the South Korean tech giant contributed roughly 24 billion U.S. dollars to this total, while its semiconductor business added an additional seven billion .
- During the fourth quarter of 2022, Apple emerged as the leader in global smartphone shipments, followed by Samsung. Xiaomi secured a firm hold on the third position, capturing an 11% market share .
- T-Mobile US generated revenue of 20.79 billion U.S. dollars in the fourth quarter of 2021. The merger between T-Mobile and Sprint in April 2020 greatly contributed to the substantial revenue increase throughout the entirety of 2020 .
- The global revenue for the OLED smartphone display market is projected to decline between 2021 and 2023. In 2021, sales and app revenue from OLED smartphone displays reached 33 billion U.S. dollars, with an anticipated decrease of two billion U.S. dollars by 2023 .
- Mobile gaming advertising revenue in the United States reached 5.49 billion U.S. dollars in 2021. It is projected to increase to approximately 7.9 billion U.S. dollars by 2024 .
It’s clear that smartphone users left and right are highly invested in owning the latest cell phones or mobile device. Most smartphone users would upgrade their units every couple of years just to keep up with the technology.
How many smartphones are being sold to global smartphone users? Well, the numbers would be high and will remain to be high within the next few years.
Mobile Device Usage Statistics
- Over 70% of YouTube traffic comes from mobile devices .
- As of 2020, 99.3% of Internet users in China are online using their mobile devices .
- 70% of media time is spent using smartphones, regardless if it’s watching YouTube, Netflix, or browsing social media such as Instagram and Facebook .
- The average Internet user checks their phone at least 58 times daily .
- Internet users spent 57% of their time on their mobile devices just browsing the Internet as of 2022 .
- As of April 2023, there are currently 5.18 billion Internet users globally. This is 64.6% of the global population .
- As of 2022, East Asia accounts for 1.2 billion of the world’s Internet users, followed by Southern Asia with over a billion .
- As of 2022, it was reported that 95% of global Internet users log in to the Internet on their Mobile Phones. Internet access via laptops and desktops were about 62.6% .
Other Interesting Smartphone Usage Statistics and Facts
- Did you know you can use your urine to charge mobile phones? UK scientists have created a device that allowed smartphone users to do just that .
- The global mobile phone accessories market was valued at $278 billion in 2020. It’s predicted to hit $413 billion by the end of 2030 .
- WhatsApp currently has more than two billion monthly active users, with most of them coming from outside the United States ,.
- Gaming is the most popular category in the Apple Store, accounting for 12.68% market share of all iOS apps, according to mobile app statistics. Business apps follow in second place with 10.35% and Education apps in third place with 9.8% .
- Gross app revenue for Google Play Store hit $10.24 billion during the 3rd quarter of 2022, while Apple App Store earned $21.27 billion on in-app purchases, premium apps, and subscriptions for the same period. Both stores were down in revenue from the previous quarter .
- Stumble Guys is the most downloaded game in the Google Play Store by Android smartphone users. This game generated more than 17 million downloads from Android smartphone users worldwide alone .
- Coin Master is the top-grossing gaming app in the Google Play Store as of September 2022. The game earned more than $47 million in revenues from Android smartphone users worldwide .
Why Are We Dependent On Mobile Devices?
Communication and Connectivity
Mobile devices have transformed communication by enabling instant and mobile connections and seamless connectivity across the globe. With the ability to make calls, send text messages, emails, and engage in video chats, they have made communication more convenient and accessible. Social media platforms and messaging apps have also gained popularity, fostering virtual connections, bridging distances, and facilitating real-time interaction with friends, family, and colleagues.
Information Access and Knowledge
Gone are the days when acquiring information necessitated a visit to a library or waiting for the evening news. Mobile devices offer an expansive gateway to the world of knowledge. Through internet connectivity and access to search engines, online databases, news portals, and educational resources, mobile users can instantly retrieve information on any subject, empowering them to stay informed, broaden their horizons, and make informed decisions.
Productivity and Efficiency
Mobile devices have become indispensable tools for boosting productivity and efficiency, both in personal and professional contexts. With a vast array of productivity apps, users can manage their schedules, set reminders, take notes, collaborate on projects, and access important documents on the go. Moreover, many mobile apps and devices enable remote work, allowing professionals to be productive outside traditional office settings, leading to increased flexibility and work-life balance.
E-commerce and Financial Transactions
The rise of mobile devices has spurred the growth of e-commerce. Online marketplaces, shopping apps, mobile commerce, and digital payment platforms have made shopping more convenient and accessible than ever before. Mobile banking apps have also revolutionized financial transactions, enabling users to check balances, transfer funds, pay bills, and conduct secure transactions, simplifying daily financial management.
Entertainment and Media Consumption
Mobile devices have become pocket-sized entertainment centers, offering a plethora of options for media consumption. With high-quality screens, powerful processors, and access to a wide range of apps, users can stream movies, TV shows, music, and podcasts, transforming their mobile devices into portable entertainment hubs. Additionally, gaming apps have gained immense popularity, providing a number of smartphone users with immersive experiences and multiplayer connectivity.
Health and Well-being
Mobile devices have made significant contributions to health and well-being, with numerous health and fitness apps available at users’ fingertips. These smartphone apps can track physical activity, monitor sleep patterns, provide nutritional guidance, and offer meditation or mindfulness exercises, promoting a healthier lifestyle. Moreover, mobile devices have facilitated remote healthcare services, telemedicine consultations, and access to medical information, thereby increasing healthcare accessibility.
Personal Development and Learning
Learning opportunities have been democratized through smartphone use of mobile devices. Educational apps, language learning tools, and online courses have made self-improvement accessible to all. Users can enhance their skills, learn new languages, acquire knowledge in diverse fields, and engage in continuous personal development at their convenience.
The Wrap Up
Looking at the numbers above, it’s clear that there are a lot of smartphone users worldwide who use their mobile devices for different purposes. Smartphone usage statistics will show that people are on their phones and devices for games or for work.
It also helps that the smartphone market continues to crank out new mobile phones with better technology, allowing mobile users to really get the most out of their devices. In more recent years, the smartphone market has seen the entry of gaming mobile phones or phones with specifications necessary for high-end mobile gaming. And no, we’re not talking about handheld consoles either. These gaming phones can run smartphone apps at high speed and efficiency.
With the numbers in this article, smartphone penetration across different age groups will increase and you’ll find that the average smartphone user will turn to their phones for just about anything.