What do you get when you combine a battle royale game with characters from a game like League of Legends and Overwatch? You get something like Apex Legends.
Apex Legends is only about a couple years old but it’s already a multiplayer game that you’ve probably heard of even if you don’t play the game. And in this article, we’ll be looking at some Apex Legends stats that prove why this multiplayer game is as big as it is now.
Key Apex Legends Statistics
- Apex Legends has achieved a lifetime revenue of more than $1 billion as of February 2021 .
- For the entirety of 2019 (February to December), the game earned $450 million in revenue for its first year .
- The game generated more than $600 million in revenue for Q1 to Q3 of 2021, pushing them past the $1 billion revenue mark .
- Apex Legends’ player base is predominantly male, with majority of them aged below 35 years old .
- As of April 2021, Apex Legends had 100 million unique registered users .
- A week after its release, the game already had 25 million unique registered users . This number increased to 50 million by the end of March 2019 .
- United States accounts for 38.92% of player daily participation, or total number of players logged in daily .
- Peak concurrent players recorded over the last 30 days is 461,031. In August 2022, there were 510,286 concurrent players recorded .
- 17% of esports fans in the United States follow Apex Legends events and broadcasts .
- Apex Legends is one of the most played games on Steam with 130,000 players logged in every hour recorded in 2021 .
- Twitch is the 8th most popular game on Twitch in terms of peak concurrent viewers. As of May 2022, the game has been viewed by more than 127,000 concurrent weekly viewers .
What’s Apex Legends?
Apex Legends is a free-to-play first person shooting game that falls under the battle royale genre. Think of it as having the same mechanics as Fortnite and PUBG but with characters having different abilities similar to the toons from games like League of Legends and Overwatch. The game was developed by Respawn and published by Electronic Arts. Two years prior to the release of Apex Legends, EA already acquired Respawn Entertainment .
Before Apex Legends, Respawn Entertainment was well known in the gaming industry for their game, Titanfall. Apex Legends is set in the same world as its predecessor but from a different timeline. It’s more or less set 30 years after the events of Titanfall, and the lore and character designs are similar in both games.
The game sets Apex Legends players against one another in squads of three. Your team has to survive the map, which shrinks down in size as the game progresses. The map itself is interactive, allowing players to break through doors, use the terrain to their advantage (or to the disadvantage of the other players), and so on.
The characters in Apex Legends are called Legends. Each of them have their own skills, strengths, weaknesses, and uses to the squad. The combination of different Legends in a squad allows for varied gameplay with a keen focus on teamwork and collaboration.
Apex Legends has two game modes: Battle Royale, which its 60 players into a full map that keeps shrinking, and Arenas, which is a 3v3 game mode that determines winners based on rounds won. To the disappointment of the Titanfall fans, players are not able to access any giant mechs in the game.
Apex Legends has cross-platform functionality, meaning you can play against PC and console players.
Now let’s move on to the interesting (or boring) part of the article.
Apex Legends Revenue Statistics
- Apex Legends lifetime revenue has already breached the $1 billion mark as of February 2021 .
- On the month of its release, which was Feb 2019, the game generated $92 million in revenue . This number staggered up and down months later and ultimately peaked to $45 million in October 2019 .
- For 2019, the game generated a total of $450 million, which is very impressive .
- For with year of 2021, the game generated $600 million in revenue in three quarters and pushed them to the $1 billion mark during Q2 2021 .
- As of August 2022, Apex Legends Mobile is one of the top-grossing mobile games in the Google Play Store. Year to date, Apex Legends Mobile already generated $24 million in revenue. The highest grossing game in the Google Play Store is currently Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes with $86.95 million, followed by FIFA Soccer with $53.86 million in revenue .
Apex Legends Demographics
- Apex Legends players are predominantly male, with majority of them aged 35 years and younger .
- For this particular demographic, only 14% of their player base are under the age of 18, and 6% of the player base are aged between 18 and 34 years old .
- 9% of their players play the game because they’re bored, while 23% of their players enjoy the teamwork aspect. 35% of people who play Apex Legends want to improve themselves .
How Many Players are on Apex Legends?
- As of April 2021, Apex Legends already had 100 million registered users .
- A week after their release, they had 25 million unique registered users. In March 2019, that number doubled to 50 million registered users .
- After the start of Season 3, Apex Legends increased in player count and hit the 70 million mark .
- As of June 2021, Apex Legends averaged more than 22 million active users a month ..
- Out of that total average, 12.8 million players came from consoles and 9.78% came from PC .
- However, this number is a far cry from the 50 million active users it averaged on its first month after release .
- After Season 9’s release on May 2021, Apex Legends averaged about 13 million active users .
- The United States has the highest player daily participation, accounting for 38.92% of total number of players logged in. Great Britain follows in second place with 7.18% and Russia with 5.81% .
- Over the last 30 days, the number of peak concurrent players is 461,031. In August 2022, peak concurrent players was 510,286 .
- Daily player average over the last 30 days was 230,077, and for the month of August 2022, daily player average was 230,432 .
Apex Legends’ player count isn’t something out of the ordinary. The ebb and flow of how many people are playing Apex Legends is pretty normal. It goes without saying that Apex Legends goes up against other games such as PUBG and Fortnite, with both games being more popular (or just as).
Respawn Entertainment’s challenge is to consistently come up with newer content, be it maps, characters, missions, and even weapons.
Is Apex Legends Still Popular?
It’s safe to say that Apex Legends is still popular, and we’re not just saying that because of the daily active users or the revenue they’re generating from microtransactions.
Let’s take a look at other Apex Legends stats that let us know just how popular the game is.
- In the USA, 17% of esports aficionados follow the Apex Legends professional esports scene. It’s currently the third most popular esports franchise in the United States as of 2022. The most popular esports franchise is League of Legends, with 36% of esports fan following their events and broadcasts .
- Apex Legends is one of the most played games in terms of hourly average number of players on Steam. In 2021, more than 130,000 players were logged in every hour on Apex Legends .
- On Twitch, Apex Legends is one of the most popular games in terms of concurrent weeky viewers. As of May 2022, Apex Legends has more than 127,000 concurrent weekly viewers .
- Apex Legends Mobile is one of the most downloaded mobile games for iPhone in the United States. As of June 2022, the game generated more than 988,000 downloads from iPhone users .
- Apex Legends Mobile is one of the most popular iPhone games in terms of daily active users. As of June 2022, Apex Legends Mobile averages more than 140,000 daily active players .
- Apex Legends is the 8th most popular game on Twitch in terms of average viewers. Over the last 7 days, average viewer count for Apex Legends was more than 61,000 with more than 4,100 channels streaming the game .
- As of August 2022, Apex Legends Mobile is one of the most downloaded mobile games on Google Play Store. Year to date, the game generated more than 28 million downloads for that time period .
The Wrap Up
So there you have it, a look at some interesting Apex Legends stats that show just how big and how popular this game is. If you were expecting something along the lines of seasonal win stats, highest head shot accuracy, regional leaderboards, top favorite streamers, or the top Legends picked by players, then sorry to have disappointed you. There are websites that show you even detailed Apex Legends stats that look at just that.
If you were to ask any battle royale player on which game is their favorite, chances are they might mention Apex Legends as one of their favorite games. The team play is solid and varied. Players experience a unique gaming gaming session every match, which explains why the peak number of active daily and monthly users hover at about five and six digits respectively.
However, not a lot of gamers might enjoy the combat system. Having Legends with unique abilities makes the learning curve a bit steep, especially for those who’re not familiar with MOBA-like elements of each Legend. This is probably the reason why people are often turning away from Apex Legends and going back to the more simplistic approach of PUBG and Fortnite.
Apex Legends is available on PC, Playstation and Xbox consoles, and on mobile phones. With cross-platform functionality, the competition is fierce and leaderboards are filled with different players from different platforms.