Long before Little Big Planet allowed players to create and post their own levels for other players to rate, Roblox was a game ahead of its time. It wasn’t as big as LBP, but Roblox eventually turned into one of the biggest multiplayer social platform on the Internet.
The game allowed players to create their own games or products, and it allowed for the growth of a community of developers who shared their homebrewed games using the engine and other assets provided for by Roblox.
Other players could play these homebrew games and give feedback to the developers when possible. Eventually, Roblox allowed developers to earn from their own games through the platform’s microtransactions. The game has its own currency called Robux and players could purchase said currency for real money.
Today, we’re going to look at some interesting Roblox statistics, from revenue to average Roblox users, and see why this platform has become one of the biggest online gaming platforms on the Internet right now.
Roblox was founded back in 2004 by Eric Cassel and David Baszucki, and was released for PC in 2006. The game had a certain charm to it thanks to its funky physics and graphics. But its biggest appeal was allowing players to express their creativity by letting them develop their own Roblox games within the platform.
As the company and platform grew, more features were added over time, including the in-game currency, safe chat filter, and cross-compatibility amongst devices to name a few. Roblox surged in popularity by 2010 and even more so during the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Roblox Key Statistics
- Roblox is currently valued at $27.3 billion in 2022 , .
- In 2020, they generated $924 million , .
- Roblox generated more than $1.9 billion in revenue in 2021 , .
- For Q1 2022, Roblox already earned $537 million in revenue 
- Google Play users have made it possible for Roblox to become one of the top 10 highest grossing Apps in the Google Play Store. Google Play users have generated more than $9.14 million for June 2022 .
- Roblox monthly active users reached 202 million .
- Out of these 202 million monthly active users, 43 million are daily active users .
- Roblox is comprised of younger users. 67% of their daily active users are aged 16 years old and below.
- Adopt Me! is the gaming platform’s most popular game in terms of visits. The game has almost 29 billion visits from different Roblox users total .
- 79% of Roblox daily active users log in through the game using their mobile devices or smartphones.
- Roblox is currently valued at over $38 billion, and is one of the most valuable gaming companies in the world  ,.
- Roblox’s valuation went from $1.1 billion in 2017 to $27.38B in 2022 (currently) ,
- Roblox generated $1.9 billion in revenue just in 2021 , .
How Much Money Did Roblox Make?
- Roblox earned $924 million in revenue back in 2020 , .
- 57%, or six out of ten, Roblox app users who purchased from the gaming platform during the first three quarters of 2021 spent an hour or less on average using the platform. 24% of Roblox iOS users who made in app purchases spent an average of 1 and 5 hours playing during the period of observation .
- During Q1 of 2022, Roblox generated $537 million in revenue, which was down from $568.8 million in revenue from the previous quarter .
- Roblox is one of the top 10 leading Android Apps based on revenue in the Google Play Store worldwide as of June 2022. Roblox generated $9.14 million in revenue just from Android users for that time period .
- In November 2021, Roblox Corporation ranked first amongst the biggest gaming companies in terms of market cap, sitting at $74.55 billion. Further activity and hype from the Metaverse fueled the market activity .
- The company’s market cap decreased to $18.95 billion after pulling out of the Chinese market in December 2021 .
- In October 2021, Roblox was the highest grossing gaming app in the United States for iPhones with more than $3 million in daily revenue coming from the millions of daily active users. Candy Crush Saga and Coin Master followed with less than $2 million in daily revenue .
- Roblox was the highest grossing iPad app in the Apple App Store in the USA in terms of revenue. The game earned $37 million from iOS users through iPad. Candy Crush Saga came in second place with $19.6 million revenue .
Roblox Users Statistics
With the revenue that Roblox is generating on a monthly basis, we’re going to take a look at just how many users there are on this platform, whether they’re Roblox players or Roblox developers.
How Many People Play Roblox?
- Roblox has 202 million monthly active users .
- Out of the 202 million active users, 43 million are Roblox daily active users, or people who play Roblox daily .
- There are more than 9.5 million developers right now on Roblox. These are the people who create content for other people playing Roblox .
- 67% of Roblox players are aged 16 years old and younger .
- 51% of Roblox users are male, and 44% are female .
- Majority of Roblox daily active users are located in Canada and in the USA, despite being available in 22 countries .
- Roblox has accumulated more than 73.1 billion hours of gaming since 2018 .
- Kids under the age of 13 spent a total of 51.5 million hours on the Roblox platform .
- Total time spent on the platform for Q2 of 2021 reached 9.73 billion hours .
- The Bloxy Awards is Roblox’s very own awards ceremony. In 2021, the awards ceremony generated more than 26 million visits with 855,000 players connected simultaneously .
- In 2020, The Bloxy Awards raised $100,000 for charity .
- Adopt Me! is one of the most popular games in the platform , . In terms of visits, Adopt Me! has about 28.6 billion from users. Visits are counted when a player has spent more than 30 seconds, which is one of many Roblox user sessions being considered .
How Many People Downloaded Roblox?
- Roblox has been downloaded 383 million times across mobile devices using Google Play and Apple App Store .
- More than 25 million reviews have been left by Roblox’s daily active users on the Google Play Store, while only 6.3 million reviews are found on Apple App store .
- More than 79% of Roblox’s daily active users access the platform using their mobile devices .
- 25% of Roblox users access the game through the desktop .
Roblox And Their Controversies
Setting aside the Roblox statistics and the revenue they generated, both the game and company were not without their controversies. These controversies led to the company developing certain features to protect the million daily active users that are logging on.
Some of the most notorious controversies to plague the game developers and the platform itself included:
- An 11-year old girl was found to have spent more than $6,000 on Roblox. The company was criticized for making it easy for kids to purchase in game products using their parents’ money .
- The game turned into a playground for right wing and fascist groups , on top of being avenues for sexual harassment and activities.
- Online gaming is not without its profanities, and the company was called out for their AI’s inability to properly filter out offensive language .
Wrapping It Up!
So what’s next for Roblox developers and the company itself? It’s safe to assume that Roblox is constantly working on improving the functionality and safety of their platform. After all, young children comprise more than a couple million daily active users for the platform.
Every feature, from the chat filters to the microtransaction system, is always under a microscope. But despite trolls and vandals proliferating the game, Roblox boasts of being one of the safest online communities around for the younger gaming audience.