When you are building a PC, one of the main concerns on your mind will undoubtedly be how much money it costs.
If you have ever bought a pre-built PC in the past, then you know how expensive they can be. However, if you know where to look, you can get a really decent gaming PC for less than $400.
That’s right, you heard us correctly. Sometimes a company will charge you simply to put all the pieces together.
It is quite easy to build your own PC if you follow the right instructions to the letter. It might be stressful, but if you are willing to put yourself through that then you might make a substantial saving on your PC.
All you’ll need to do is make sure that everything that you have is high performance and will give you everything that you need for a ferocious speed.
You’ll need a high-end graphics card and a motherboard that will be able to support the whole thing without any major lagging issues.
So where can you find the best $400 gaming devices for your needs? Where can you find all the components that will give your games that optimal performance? What is the best CPU for gaming? What superior motherboard do you need to get for this device? How much will the entire package cost you exactly?
Well, if you want answers to these questions and a whole lot more, then we would suggest that you keep reading.
We have compiled a list of some of the best gaming PCs that money can buy, as well as parts that will fit well together and are easy to install. If you thought you could never buy a gaming PC for less than $400, then you can think again.
Best $400 Gaming PC Build in 2021
First off, we’ll start with the prebuild. This pretty incredible-looking unit will give you everything you need for solid gaming performance, with a motherboard that will be able to easily process all the graphics and give you a pristine HD output at the end of it – introducing the iBUYPOWER Pro Gaming PC Computer.
This beast is simply amazing and is marketed at people at the lower end of the budget spectrum. It comes in a tall, durable case that won’t get worn down or damaged.
Coming with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600, you can be sure that it will be able to process your fast graphics with ease.
- This comes with a dedicated NVIDIA graphics card that will be able to render even the most intense games. This will certainly appeal to online players who need that smooth and latency-free playing situation.
- This comes with tempered glass, which is great for durability, but also for cooling the inside of your PC down. This also makes it a very cool PC to look at – almost something akin to a jet engine fighter.
- This has plenty of storage space, with an SSD card that will be able to store lots of information and run it back at very high speeds.
- The case comes with plenty of adaptable USB ports, which are perfect for hooking up a USB mouse or a wireless keyboard.
- Just purchase a decent monitor and you’re all set.
- Having a pre-built option will always be more pricey than getting all the components and putting the thing together yourself. If you are looking to save some serious cash, then we would certainly recommend that you buy your graphics card and CPU separately.
Okay, now we’ll move on to the individual components, starting with the most important of all: the CPU.
Intel is one of the best manufacturers of CPUs out there, so you won’t have to worry about your processor handling even the graphics-heavy computer games. We would certainly recommend this one as a solid running unit – introducing the Intel CPU BX8070110100F Core i1-10100F.
This Intel processor comes extremely highly rated and is often included in a lot of pre-built PC kits.
With a two-fan setup, you can be sure that you won’t have any lagging issues with this computer, although we would suggest that you include at least 3 fans for optimum running time.
- The price – because this has been on the market for quite some time, it comes at a very reasonable price. This will be able to handle multiple processes such as high-end graphics and sound cards.
- This is a standard core that is used in a lot of units, which means that it is tried and tested. It also comes very highly rated on Amazon, so you won’t have to worry about that.
- This core was specifically built for running many processes at once, so whether you want a CPU for gaming or a CPU for graphics design, this is the choice.
- Intel has made this processor very easy to install, all you have to do is follow the instructions and you should have your processor set up in no time at all.
- You’ll need to make sure that there is plenty of airflow getting into this processor, as it will often overheat and succumb to lag if you are operating it in a warm environment.
Next, we have another essential component for your computer: the motherboard. This is another tried and tested board that you can use to plug in your processor, your graphics card and your sound device.
This has a very durable construction and you can expect it to last you for many years after installation – introducing Gigabyte H410M Motherboard.
This is built especially to support dual Intel processors. It comes with easy-to-use ports that you can slot in your graphics cards.
It also comes with USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, which will be great for hooking up any state-of-the-art wireless mouses and keyboards that you happen to be using.
- This is very easy to install, making it great for anyone who might not be that technologically minded. You can rig this one up to your hub very quickly, so you won’t have to worry about delays when it comes to gaming.
- This is a great motherboard for playing games. It has a solid setup and circuit board that will offer you a very fast transfer of information.
- This is one of the best motherboards for self-built computers. It has plenty of USB ports, so you can upgrade your computer whenever you see fit. This will not only help you with your gaming, but will also keep the price of your unit low.
- You can also plug in speakers, a monitor, a webcam and a microphone. If you are thinking of streaming, this is the perfect setup for you.
- This is not a top-end motherboard, although it will provide you with all the basics that you need. We would certainly recommend this one for upping your gaming capabilities.
Next up, we have a very powerful dual fan graphics card. This comes at a decent price and will pretty much enable fast gameplay and intense frame rate on most fast-paced action games.
This is a popular model amongst gamers, who have all described this variously as one of the best graphics cards for first-person shooters – introducing XFX Radeon RX 550 4GB DDR5 Double Dissipation Graphics Card.
One of the first things that you might notice about this graphics card will be the dual fans.
This will help you keep your graphics card nice and cool, allowing it to run your graphics at super speed, clocking it up to the maximum settings. We would certainly recommend this one for high-speed gaming.
- This is very easy to install – all you have to do is click it into your motherboard and install the software that comes with it.
- The dual fan system will make sure that you have everything that you need for optimal cooling. If you are clocking your computer to its maximum settings, then you can’t go far wrong with this hefty device.
- This is a very durable device, made from solid steel, you can rest assured that it won’t get damaged in the post.
- The price – one of the main reasons that you might want to buy this one is the amazing price. You won’t find yourself breaking the bank with this one, making it ideal for students or a family on a budget. One of the best budget graphics cards you’ll ever get your hands on. Period.
- This might not be suitable for people who really enjoy their high-end gaming. Some games like Call Of Duty and Warzone, when placed on the highest settings, will certainly need a lot more power from their graphics card.
Next, we have a solid-state drive that will really help you when it comes to giving your computer that top-level memory boost that will be important for your high-end gaming options.
With no internal moving components, this is a fast, smooth and very high performing device – introducing PNY CS900 240GB 3D NAND 2.5-inches SATA III Internal Solid State Drive.
This will be an effective substitute for a lot of laptop and computer hard drives. You can even operate this in tandem with your existing hard drive.
If you have two running at once, you can expect a high operation, which is especially important for fast-paced action computer games.
- This will boost the speeds of your operating system, you’ll notice straight away that your device will be running smoothly and efficiently.
- This is one of the hard drives for large amounts of information. You can use it to install your OS and then have a secondary hard drive for all your other applications and software.
- This solid-state drive comes with very few working components, so you won’t need to worry about any of them coming loose and having issues with your device.
- This can be installed onto your computer very easily, with a simple connector, you can be sure that you’ll have consistent and reliable access to your Windows OS.
- This SSD can be quite hard to navigate for anyone who has not used one of these devices before. We would certainly recommend that you read up on these first before going out and buying them.
When it comes to building your PC, one thing that you’ll definitely need is a decent hub. This one is one of the best on the market, coming in a solid steel design that is easy for you to open and install all of your components.
This comes with various fans, which can be connected to keep your machine cool and in optimal performance – introducing the Zalman T6 ATX Mid Tower Computer PC Case. If size is an issue, mini ITX builds are also something to consider.
This is made from solid alloy with a wire mesh on the side that will encourage ventilation. This is one of the most important aspects of having a PC case.
You’ll need to make sure that plenty of air is circulating through to make sure that it stays cool and does not overheat. This is especially important for powerful machines where the processor is always maxing out.
- This has a very sturdy case, made from alloy steel, you can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need in case you drop it or it gets dinged in the post.
- This has a great versatile layout in the center, so you can set up your components in whatever way you want. It also has plenty of room if you want to adapt it at a later date.
- This comes with powder-coated steel, so you can be sure that it will not succumb to any magnetic interference.
- This is one of the best units to have for optimal cooling. It comes with hairline gaps in the design, which encourages air transfer and will give you everything that you need for optimal internal temperature.
- This unit is very heavy, which might put off games that do not want to put their back out putting it together.
When you are putting together your computer, you’ll need to make sure that you have everything that you need for optimal performance. You’ll need to consider speed, running power and construction. You’ll also want something that can be well ventilated.
Here are a few things you’ll want to consider for your PC:
How Fast Is It?
You’ll need to make sure that your CPU is capable of running all these high-end components such as graphics cards and solid-state drives. If you have a motherboard that is not equipped at adapting to your components, then you will experience a lot of inefficiency in your device.
Can It Be Upgraded?
One of the most important things that you’ll need from your computer is the ability to update it.
Often new graphics cards and hard drives will become available, so you’ll want the option of being able to add them to your computer as and when. This will certainly help you when it comes to increasing the performance of your computer.
You’ll also need to consider just how big your budget should be for PC cases, as they can limit your choices for GPUs and motherboards.
How Much Does It Cost?
The point of this article is to keep the cost low. You can do this by buying your components separately and then putting them together by following various Youtube tutorials. This process can be very stressful and time-consuming, but you’ll save yourself a few hundred dollars by doing so.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can You Save Money On Your Gaming PC?
Buying all the components separately and putting your PC together yourself is a great way of saving yourself some money. This is because most companies charge for putting this stuff together, so you are cutting out the costs for labor.
Budget gaming PC builds aren’t a bad idea either if you just want to get the ball rolling. You can always upgrade down the line.
Another way of saving is by getting lower-end graphics cards, as well as cheaper keyboards and mouses. You can slowly upgrade these elements over a year or so as you come into more money.