What started out as a platform for Valve to automatically update their games is now one of the biggest digital game distribution platforms for both publishers and developers. Steam has acquired millions of games and users throughout the years, along with a long lineup of anime, films, soundtrack, and more.
Today, we’re looking at the numbers to see how big the platform really is. We’ll be looking at interesting Steam stats such as the number of Steam users, games owned, the most played game in the platform, and much more.
Key Steam Statistics
- In 2020, Steam averaged 120 million monthly active users with 62.6 million daily active users .
- 1% of Steam games earned more than $25 million through the platform alone .
- In 2020, an average of 2.6 million new game purchases was recorded , which means there were 2.6 million new sign ups on the platform.
- Only 100 games account for 50% of Steam’s revenue, responsible for half of the $4.3 billion earned in 2017 .
- Games that cost $10 or so averaged at 1,000 copies sold and games priced at the premium of $21 and up sold more than 5,000 copies on average .
- Only 25% of the entire Steam library of games generated more than $50,000 in revenue .
- 1% of the games uploaded on Steam are considered moneymakers for earning more than $25 million in revenue .
- In 2021, Steam recorded 132 million monthly active users on average and 69 million daily active users on average ,.
Steam Platform Overview
Steam is a digital video game distribution platform which houses thousands of games from hundreds of publishers and developers all around the world.
To paint a picture of what the platform is, imagine a virtual library containing all the games you bought and paid for. The games are housed into a singular account and are yours forever.
If you’re buying a new hard drive or a new PC, don’t fret because you just need to install Steam into the new device, login, and download.
Steam Sales Statistics and Revenue Data
- In 2020, Steam had more than 120 million active Steam users in a month and averaging 62.6 million users daily. This spike is Steam user count resulted in a 21.4% increase in game sales and 50.7% increase in total number of hours played on Steam ,.
- 1% of games on Steam earn more than $25 million just through the platform. In contrast, almost 50% of games have never earned more than $10,000 .
- A monthly average of 2.6 million new game purchases on Steam was recorded in 2020. This meant that 2.6 million users signed up for the platform every month in 2020 .
- Epic Games is Steam’s greatest rival. The platform contains about 160 million games with about 31.3 million daily active users recorded in 2020. Their biggest game in their library is Fortnite .
- There are only 100 games that make up 50% of Steam’s revenue, generating half of the $4.3 billion revenue for 2017. The platform’s biggest earner is PUBG or PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, earning $600 million from the 28 million Steam users who own the game .
- In 2018, 21% of survey respondents between video game developers have reported that 100% of their income is generated through Steam. In contrast, 24% of their respondents account for Epic Games as their main source of revenue .
What’s the average number of Steam games sold? Let’s take a look at these figures :
- An average Steam game earned 47% less in 2019.
- The average game sold around 1,500 copies in 2019, about 70% less from their sales in 2018.
- Games that cost $10 would average 1,000 copies sold, while games priced between $11 and $15 would average about 2,000 copies sold. Games with higher price tags, at about $21 or so, are more than likely to average 5,000 copies sold. Games priced between $16 and $20 generate about 2,500 copies sold.
How much money are Steam games earning through the platform? Let’s take a look at the data for 2020 .
- Almost half of the Steam games have not earned $5,000 in revenue.
- Only 25% of the titles on Steam have generated more than $50,000 in revenue.
- The AA or AAA games comprise 10% of the games’ population on Steam and have made more than $430,000 in revenue.
- 1% of games on Steam are considered the moneymakers and have earned more than $25 million in revenue.
The Steam Sales are one of the most sought after seasonal sales that a lot of steam users are looking forward to. These seasonal sales are as grand as they sound, with games within Steam almost being discounted to 90% (even for the new titles).
Let’s take a look at what the Autumn Sale 2020 brought in terms of sales and revenue. This 2020 Autumn Sale was the platform’s best performing seasonal sale yet :
- Almost one million users purchased for the first time during the Autumn Steam Sales of 2020, showing a 33% increase compared to the previous year’s sale.
- 24 million concurrent users were logged on to the platform for the sale, which was a 7 million increase from the previous year’s sale.
Steam Player Statistics
- In 2021, Steam reported an average of 132 million monthly active users and showed a 12 million increase from the previous year’s 120 million users .
- In 2021, Steam’s daily average user count is reported at 69 million, which is more than a 20 million increase compared to the DAU reported in 2018 .
- In 2021, 69% of Steam users in the USA are male .
- In 2021, 37% of Steam users in the USA are aged between 20 and 29 years old .
- In 2021, 19% of users in the USA have a Master’s Degree or its equivalent .
- China already has more than 30 million Steam users, making it one of the largest gaming markets globally .
- About 48 million players prefer a controller over mice and keyboards on Steam .
Steam Game Statistics
- As of July 2022, more than 7000 new titles have been released on to the platform .
- As of September 2022, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is one of the most played games in the Steam platform in terms of concurrent players. For this month of observation, the game has about 653,423 concurrent players .
- Dota 2 has 514,177 concurrent users for the month of September 2022.
- Apex Legends has 231,258 concurrent users for the same month.
- Other games such as PUBG and Lost Ark close the top 5 most played games with 182,516 and 137,603 users respectively.
- In 2021, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is the most played game in terms of hourly average played with 604.95 hours and followed by Dota 2 with 420.31 hours .
- In 2021, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive has the highest number of concurrent players at 1.19 million, followed by New World with 913,300 players .
- As of 2022, there are more than 50,000 games on Steam globally .
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has the largest file size on Steam with 200GB, followed by Quantum Break with 175+ GB .
Now we have seen these impressive Steam stats, it doesn’t come as a surprise to understand why this is the biggest gaming platform to date. More than half, if not all, of the major game developers and publishers are releasing their games on Steam. Who knows how many people are actually spending money on a daily basis, but with the numbers above, it’s clear that any single game listed on Steam are good enough for gamers.