Among Us is a popular online multiplayer game that has taken the gaming world by storm. Developed by the small indie game studio InnerSloth, it was released in 2018 but only gained widespread popularity in 2020, when it became a viral sensation among players all over the world. In this blog post, we’ll explore the history of Among Us and why it has become such a cultural phenomenon.
Who Developed Among Us?
InnerSloth was founded in 2015 by Marcus Bromander and Forest Willard, two programmers who had a passion for creating fun and engaging games. They started out by developing mobile games, but eventually turned their attention to PC games. Their first game, a space-themed strategy game called The Henry Stickmin Collection, was moderately successful. However, it was their second game, Among Us, that truly put them on the map.
The concept for Among Us was inspired by party games like Mafia and Werewolf, in which players must deduce who among them is the traitor or the killer. In Among Us, players take on the roles of astronauts aboard a spaceship, one or more of whom are impostors trying to kill the crew and sabotage the ship. The rest of the crew must complete tasks and work together to identify and vote off the impostors before it’s too late.
Key Among Us Statistics
- In January 2022, Among Us peaked at 217.2 million concurrent players and averaged 163.6 million players a month for that year as well .
- There are more than 10 million players logged in to the mobile game daily .
- Sodapoppin was the reason why Among Us was an instant game hit when he streamed it on Twitch to his 2.8 million followers in 2020. For that period, he had more than 47,000 views for his Among Us gameplay .
- Among Us earned $86 million in revenue for 2021, almost four times the revenue earned in 2020 ($24.5 million) .
- The PC platform accounts for more than 60% of the game’s total earnings ,. It’s worth mentioning that PC players only account for 3% of the entire player base of the best mobile game/party game.
- Twitch Rivals Friday Night Bites Ft KAT and Among Us hosted a tournament with the biggest tournament prize pool amounting to $30,000 .
- Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez streamed her Among Us game on Twitch. Together with Sykunno, Pokimane, and other bigtime streamers, that AOC stream generated more than 439,000 views over the span of three hours .
- Among Us statistics for Twitch shows that the game is viewed by an average of 2,000 people daily ,.
- The peak viewer count for Among Us on Twitch was 770,000 viewers in November 2020 .
Among Us Player Statistics
- In 2022, Among Us peaked at 217.2 million players for the month of January. Average monthly player count for 2022 was at 163.6 million .
- 10 to 15 million active players are logged in on a daily basis .
- The average age of players is between 14 and 30 years old. Players aged 20 to 30 years old dominate the player count for Among Us , .
- Among Us was downloaded more than 100 million times on different consoles. The mobile version had more than 320 million downloads and was considered to be the most downloaded app in October 2020. Other platforms such as PC and Nintendo Switch have not released download data for the game .
With the current player count and average monthly active players, it’s safe to say that Among Us isn’t a dead game. Rather people play this game for the fun of it. With the release of new roles, there are more people playing Among Us and trying out these new roles for themselves.
Among Us Popularity Statistics
- In 2022, Among Us peaked at 70 million hours on stream, and is ranked #86 as the most-watched games on Twitch .
- Peak viewer count for Among Us on Twitch hit reached more than 770,000 viewers in November 2020 .
- Twitch draws in more than 2,000 average viewers for Among Us ,.
- Streamer Sodapoppin was the reason why Among Us became a big hit on Twitch. He streamed the game in 2020 to his 2.8 million followers (at that time) and had more than 47,000 views for his Among Us streams .
- Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez streamed on Twitch playing Among Us with Valkyrae, Pokimane, Sykkuno, and other big time streamers. AOC’s stream generated more than 439,000 views, making it the third most watched stream for that time period .
- As of this writing, there are more than 87 peak channels (live) still streaming Among Us on a daily basis and averaging about 30.8 viewers per channel .
Among Us Revenue Statistics
Now that we know what makes this game popular and the average number of concurrent players and new users on a daily basis, but do the quick stats above prove that the game is profitable?
Among Us will cost you $5 to purchase on Steam and Nintendo Switch, while it’s free to download for mobile games. Now you know why there are more people playing on the mobile phone than any other platform.
Then there are also in-game purchases or in app purchases in Among Us, so the average player count and live player count can contribute to the game’s earning potential.
But let’s look at the exact numbers on how much money they made.
- In 2021, Among Us’s revenue was $86 million, which was almost a 300% increase from 2020’s $24.5 million in revenue .
- PC platform accounts for more than 64% of Among Us’s total earnings , . Surprisingly, the active players on PC only account for 3% of the total number of players in the game, .
- USA has the highest number of player count in Among Us, accounting for 36% of all players globally. United Kingdom and India follow in 2nd and 3rd place with 5.11% and 4.67% respectively .
Among Us eSports
Players play in the professional scene when it comes to Among Us. It’s a given because it’s one of the most popular games of all time.
This section will cover just how the best multiplayer game in the party category made with their esports venture.
- Twitch Rivals Friday Night Bites Ft KAT and Among Us hosted the tournament with the biggest prize pool amounting to $30,000 , !
- Faze Clan’s in-house In-Vent-Ational Tournament comes in second place with $25,000 in prizes , .
- Tyler Niknam is the #1 highest earning player with $25,000 in tournament winnings, followed by Canadian Autumn with $6,000 and SlikeR with $1,000 .
- More than 23 Among Us tournaments have been organized around the world .
Why Is Among Us So Good?
What makes Among Us so compelling is its simplicity and accessibility. It’s easy to learn and doesn’t require a lot of hardware or technical expertise to play. Players can join games with friends or strangers, and the game can be played on a variety of platforms, including PC, mobile devices, and Nintendo Switch. The game is also free to play on mobile devices, which has made it especially popular among younger players.
However, what truly sets Among Us apart is its social element. The game encourages players to communicate and work together, which can lead to hilarious moments and unexpected alliances. Players must use their wits and observation skills to deduce who the impostors are and convince others to vote them off. It’s a game that rewards both strategy and social skills, which makes it a hit among players of all ages.
But why has Among Us become such a cultural phenomenon? Part of it has to do with its timing. The game gained popularity during the COVID-19 pandemic, when people were looking for ways to connect with others and have fun while staying at home. The game’s accessibility and social element made it a perfect way to pass the time with friends and family.
Another reason for its popularity is its impact on popular culture. Among Us has become a meme, with players creating fan art, memes, and videos that have spread across social media platforms. The game has even been referenced in popular TV shows and movies, cementing its place in the zeitgeist.
The Wrap Up
In conclusion, Among Us is a game that has captured the hearts and minds of players all over the world. Its simple yet engaging gameplay, accessibility, and social element have made it a cultural phenomenon. InnerSloth’s creation has proven that even a small indie game studio can create a hit game that captures the imaginations of players everywhere.