Disney’s streaming service launched in November 2019. Disney Plus burst onto the streaming scene and quickly became a cultural phenomenon. Offering a treasure trove of beloved classics, original content, and a vast universe of Marvel and Star Wars adventures, Disney Plus has captivated audiences worldwide.
Due to its size and popularity, it comes as no surprise that this streaming platform is already one of the top apps found on Google Play Store and Apple App Store. But how big and how popular is Disney Plus?
That’s what we’re here to find out.
Key Disney Plus Statistics
- In 2022, Disney’s media and entertainment business generated global revenue of $55.04 billion, marking a growth from the previous year’s $50.9 billion. This division encompasses their streaming platforms like Hulu and Disney Plus, as well as their traditional television networks like ABC .
- In the second quarter of 2023, Walt Disney’s media and entertainment segment generated $13.6 billion in revenue, indicating a slight decline compared to the previous year’s figure of $14.04 billion for the same quarter .
- Disney+ Hotstar, the leading video OTT provider in India, achieved a revenue of 32 billion Indian Rupees (approximately US$ 383 million) during the financial year 2022. This represents a significant increase compared to the previous year’s reported revenue of 16.7 billion Indian Rupees (roughly US$ 202 million). The majority of their revenue is derived from subscriptions and advertising ,.
- Disney Plus ranks as the fourth most sought-after streaming service, surpassing the other platforms below it by a factor of 3.17. Leading the pack is Apple TV, which maintains a significant advantage over its competitors with an expression 4.17 higher .
- When it comes to the worldwide content spending of various media and streaming companies, Netflix is projected to allocate approximately $21.6 billion towards programming expenses in 2026. On the other hand, Disney Plus is anticipated to reach $19.8 billion in programming expenses for the same projected year .
- By September 2020, Netflix had amassed approximately 201 million subscribers, solidifying its position as the leading subscription video-on-demand service globally. Trailing behind, Amazon Prime Video boasted 117 million users, while Disney Plus accumulated 82 million subscribers .
- During Q2 2023, the global subscriber count for Disney Plus experienced a decline for the first time since its launch in 2019. At that time, the total number of subscribers stood at 157.8 million worldwide, reflecting a shortfall of 4 million compared to the previous quarter .
- Anticipated growth lies ahead for the number of Disney Plus users in the USA over the next few years. By 2026, it is projected that Disney Plus will reach approximately 153 million subscribers. This represents a significant increase compared to the 110 million Disney subscribers recorded in the USA by the end of 2022 .
- According to a survey conducted in the USA, Disney Plus is particularly popular among Millennial adults and Gen Z. Millennial adults, defined as individuals born between 1981 and 2012, comprise the primary demographic for the streaming platform. In contrast, only a mere two percent of baby boomers, born between 1946 and 1964, utilize the service .
Disney Plus Revenue Statistics
- Disney Plus has a market capitalization worth $183 billion as of April 2021. Apple remains as the world’s largest company in terms of market capitalization with about $2.6 trillion .
- As of 2022, Disney’s media and entertainment businesss earned $55.04 in global revenue, which was an increase from $50.9 billion recorded in the previous year. This segment covers their streaming services such as Hulu and Disney Plus and their linear networks such as ABC .
- As of Q2 2023, Walt Disney’s media and entertainment segment earned $13.6 billion in revenue, a small decrease from $14.04 billion recorded the previous year for the same quarter .
- As of Q2 2023, Walt Disney Company’s parks earned a net operating income of $2.8 billion while reporting a loss for its direct-to-consumer business valued at $800 million .
- As of Q2 2023, Disney Plus, or Disney+, earned $4.44 for each paid subscriber, which is an increase from the $4.35 recorded the same quarter of the previous year .
- Disney+ Hotstar, which is India’s top video OTT provider, earned 32 billion Indian Rupees (roughly US$ 383 million) for financial year 2022. The previous year, they reported 16.7 billion Indian Rupees (roughly US$202 million). Bulk of their revenue comes from subscriptions and advertising ,.
- Disney Plus was the highest grossing mobile app in Q3 2022, with over $228 million in in-app purchase revenues recorded worldwide .
- It’s projected that Disney Plus’ advertising revenue will reach $5 billion by the year 2026, while streaming services such as Peacock and Netflix are expected to hit $2.7 billion and $1.7 billion, respectively .
- Between 2022 and 2026, Disney Plus’s ad revenue is estimated to grow at 25% CAGR .
- By 2023, Disney Plus is expected to hit $596 milion in ad revenue while Netflix is expected to hit $150 million .
- A survey conducted back in November 2021 shows that most US Disney Plus users admitted that they subscribed to the streaminng platform because of the availability of Marvel franchise movies and TV shows on top of Star Wars and other content .
In terms of market share and average revenue, the streaming platform proves that it’s making money for the Disney and it’s making more money than some of the streaming providers out there. In the next section, we’ll go over Disney Plus statistics against other streaming platforms.
Disney Plus Statistics Compared With Other Streaming Services
- Netflix reported about 235 million paid subscribers worldwide as of Q1 2023 .
- Amazon Prime Video is projected to reach 100 million subscribers by the end of 2027 .
- As of Q1 2023, Warner Bros. Discovery reported about 98 million subscribers to its digital streaming services such as HBO, Discovery+, and HBO Max .
- SVOD subscriptions around the world will continue to rise for 138 countries and it’s expected that the number of SVOD signups or subscriptions will hit the 1.7 billion mark by 2027 .
- Disney Plus is the fourth most in-demand streaming service with an expression 3.17 higher than the other streaming platforms below it. Apple TV sits at the top with an expression 4.17 higher than its competitors .
- In terms of global content spending of different media and streaming companies, Netflix will reportedly spend about $21.6 billion in programming expense for the year 2026. Disney Plus is expected to hit $19.8 billion in programming expense for that same projected year .
- As of September 2020, there were about 201 million people subscribed to Netflix, making it the most popular subscription video-on-demand service around the world. They’re followed by Amazon Prime Video with 117 million users and Disney Plus with 82 million subscribers .
- As of September 2022, HBO and HBO Max raked in 38 Primetime Emmy Awards. Netflix followed in second place with 26 Emmy Awards, Hulu in third place with 10 Emmy Awards, and Disney Plus in fourth place with 9 Emmy Awards .
- As of Q4 2022, Paramount Global reported about 77 million subscribers worldwide, showing an increase from 56 million reported the previous year .
- Apple TV+ paid subcribers totaled to about 25 million as of March 2022 .
- Stranger Things remains as the most in-demand digital original content in the United States with an expression of 58 times higher than any other average title as of May 2023. The Mandalorian comes in second place with an expression 52 times higher than other titles .
- Disney Plus boosted its content spending by 33% between 2021 and 2022, which is usually double or triple that of Netflix .
- Searchlight Pictures garnered the most number of nominations during the 80th Golden Globes 2023 with 12 nominations. They are followed by A24 with 10 nominations and Netflix with 9 nominations. Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures only received 5 nominations for that year .
- Disney+ generated 158 high quality and almost 600 quality-rated movies on its streaming platform as of May 2023 .
- Between Hulu and Disney Plus content, Hulu has about 900 quality-rated TV shows as of May 2023. Disney Plus only had 222 TV series with a quality label of at least 6.5 on IMDB .
Walt Disney Company does a great job competing against the big three streaming services namely Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Apple TV. Their market share might not be as impressive as its competitors, but Disney Plus is growing at a rapid rate according to their average revenue per user.
The success of the streaming platform can also be attributed to the addition of Disney Studios blockbusters from different franchises.
Disney Plus Usage Statistics
- As of Q2 2023, the number of Disney plus subscribers worldwide decreased for the first time since its launch in 2019. Around that time, there were only 157.8 million subscribers worldwide, showing a 4 million deficit from the previous quarter .
- It’s expected that the number of Disney Plus users in the USA will increase within the next few years. Disney Plus will hit roughly 153 millin by 2026. In comparison, USA had 110 million Disney Subscribers by the end of 2022 .
- In the Nordic region, there are more than 1.7 million households subscribed to Disney Plus as of Spring 2022. Sweden has the highest total of Disney Plus subscribers in the Nordic market with more than 600,000 .
- In the UK, the number of households subscribing to the streaming platform has increased over the last few years. By the end of 2022, there were more than 7 million Disney Plus subscribers .
- In France, the number of households subscribed to at least one SVOD (Subscription Video on Demand) has increased. More than 6 million households were subscribed to Netflix back in 2019 and that number skyrocketed to 10.5 million in a span of three years. As of April 2020, there were more than 3.6 million households subscribed to Disney+ .
- As of September 2022, ESPNU, a Disney-owned college athletics channel, had 51 million subscribers while ESPN2 had about 74 million subscribers. Disney also acquired 21th Century Fox in 2019 and other channels like National Geographic, Fox, and Star India. This allowed Disney Plus to generate more than a hundred million new subscribers .
Disney Plus Demographics
- Disney Plus is most popular amongst the Millenial Adults and Gen Z according to a survey in the USA. Millenial adults refer to people who were born betgween 1981 and 2012. Only two percent of baby boomers, or those who were born between 1946 and 1964, use the streaming platform .
- A survey conducted in the USA showed that 20% of Americans used the Disney Plus service daily. This group comprised of people between the ages of 18 and 34 years old. In comparison, two percent of people from the age group 65 years and up do the same .
- 38% of Disney subscribers agreed that they would watch more if Disney+ offered more adult content in the USA according to a survey done in November 2021 .
- In a 2021 survey, white people accounted for 71% of the number of people watching or using the service. In contrast, black people account for 9% of users consuming content on the streaming platform .
- As of October 2022, 1 out of 4 parents in Brazil said that their children aged between 0 and 12 years old watch Disney Plus on their mobile apps .
- As of March 2020, 23% of survey respondents in the United States held a Disney Plus subscription .
Why Do People Prefer Disney Plus Over Other Major Streaming Services?
Nostalgic Journey and Classic Content
One of the primary reasons people love using Disney Plus is the opportunity to embark on a nostalgic journey through the beloved classics that have shaped childhoods for generations. From timeless Disney animated films like “The Lion King” and “Cinderella” to heartwarming Pixar movies like “Toy Story” and “Finding Nemo,” Disney Plus offers a treasure trove of cherished memories. Revisiting these timeless tales evokes a sense of nostalgia, allowing both children and adults to relive the magic.
The Marvel and Star Wars Universe
Disney’s acquisition of Marvel and Lucasfilm brought the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the Star Wars galaxy under the Disney Plus umbrella. This integration has been a game-changer for fans of superhero epics and intergalactic adventures. Disney Plus provides access to the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe, allowing fans to watch their favorite superheroes save the world time and time again. From Iron Man’s suit-up to the Avengers’ thrilling battles, it’s an immersive experience for Marvel enthusiasts.
Similarly, Star Wars fans can indulge in the complete saga, from the original trilogy to the latest releases and spin-off series. The ability to stream the Star Wars films, along with exclusive shows like “The Mandalorian,” offers an unparalleled opportunity to explore the farthest reaches of the galaxy.
Original Content and Exclusive Series
Disney Plus has raised the bar in terms of original content and exclusive series, enticing subscribers with fresh, captivating narratives. The platform has successfully expanded popular franchises with original shows like “The Mandalorian,” introducing compelling characters like the adorable Grogu. These series have not only attracted existing fans but have also drawn in new audiences, adding depth and dimension to beloved universes.v
The Wrap Up
In a world of countless streaming platforms, Disney Plus stands out as a beloved favorite among viewers of all ages. With its extensive content library, exclusive original series, user-friendly interface, and a touch of Disney magic, it’s no wonder that millions of people around the globe have fallen in love with Disney Plus.